Monday, April 17, 2017

Balance is hard

I haven't posted since I finished the second short story on Thursday, so I thought a brief update was in order before we resume our regularly scheduled programming.

My Friday and Saturday were spent with friends who I hadn't seen in a while. The past month has been a pretty constant grind of either streaming, writing, or school work. I had the chance to catch up with some people and took it, even though I knew it would mean nothing else would get done. Friends and family are the most important part of my life, and always will be, no matter my personal goals, and I enjoyed the much needed time with them.

Sunday was Easter, which ended up being the day I tried to recharge and figure out what I have to do this week. Since I started this blog, I've been trying to figure out how to balance everything. I haven't succeeded, and Sunday afternoon I started to feel a bit overwhelmed by the effort. As I'm sure many of you can attest, there is simply not enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

This week, my last week of classes for the semester, I have 5 papers to finish up. That doesn't bother me, as writing papers is right up my alley, but I am aware of it, and aware of the time it takes. That means less time for other things, and causes that feeling of frustration as I try to figure out how to fit it all in.

The truth is, I can't. In terms of what I can get done, I had to get organized and look at things objectively. My list of personal priorities looks something like this:
  1. Health
  2. Friends/Family
  3. Work/School
  4. Writing
  5. Streaming
  6. Everything else
That's the order I view them in, too. So, having established that, I had to look at what I want/need my typical day to be life in order to accomplish what I want to accomplish.

I came up with a basic daily structure - exercise, followed by school, followed by writing. That means I have to get up early and get my exercise in first thing in the morning. It also means that the end of my day is devoted to writing, since most days I have either school, work, or both.

Friends and family I fit in as occasion arises. I try to spend at least part of two days enjoying time with the important people in my life.

Streaming, sadly, is difficult to find time for. I miss it, but not enough to move it up the list. It is where it belongs. I'll fit it in when I can, which, honestly, isn't going to be very often, and isn't going to be a focus at all until I nail down the daily schedule of exercise/work/write.

I've finished two short stories in 2 weeks. I will work on a third this week, and plan on finishing it by the weekend again. I'm happy with that progress, even though I haven't gotten around to editing either story. I think about the edits I want to make a lot, but it just has to wait until I have the time. that should be after all the school work is done for the semester.

Tomorrow, I get my ass up and to the gym. I'm tired now, so I'm going to relax for a few and get to bed early, so I can wake up early and start sticking to that simple schedule.

Gym/Work/School/Write

That's got to be my day. That's got to be my life. It's what I want, and the only thing keeping me from it is myself.