Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Monday

I failed to get up for the gym this morning. Actually, i made the decision not to because, after getting homework done last night and then writing, I didn't get to bed until almost 1:30, and getting up at 5 didn't seem like the best idea. I've been struggling to get on a regular sleep schedule lately, and I knew I had a long day ahead of me today, so I decided to sleep in until I had to get ready for work, which at least got me six hours of sleep.

Last night, after I finished homework, I sat down and started writing a short story. I figured I'd do something different and stream it on Twitch, just because it was something I'd thought about doing a while ago and because I'm in the habit of streaming pretty much every night. I was surprised when some of my regular viewers showed up and hung out for the stream, but it was pretty cool to just listen to music and get back to putting words on the page. I barely noticed them watching me, and once I was in a bit of a writing groove, even chatting with them didn't slow me down or distract me.

I wrote 1331 words last night to get things started. I wasn't happy with the beginning, and realized immediately after that I was searching for a way to begin the story and that a lot of those words could probably go. That;s fine, though. I'd rather write too much and have to cut it down than sit there looking for the perfect words and not get started.

Today, I worked all day and had a bunch of down time, so I spent the day reading. I finished the novel The Coquette, which I'd been reading for school, and then I resumed Lock In by John Scalzi. All told, I ready around 200 pages at work, which is bonus money as far as I'm concerned. My job doesn't have much going for it at times, but that's my kind of work day.

After work I came home and had to take a test in lieu of class tonight. I got that done in about an hour, an immediately moved onto a paper.  The paper took me a little more than two hours, at which point I needed a break and something to eat. I then did more homework and started another paper before deciding that I'd better get my 1000 words in tonight to keep the fledgling streak alive.

I decided to stream it again, just because. People showed up again. Weird. Cool, but weird.

I got productive tonight, and ended up writing 2114 words in about an hour and a half. That brings the total on the story to 3445 words, and I'm into the meat of it now. I feel better about the writing tonight, but I still think I'm over-writing. Well, that's fine. I'm going to keep plodding ahead and finish the thing. My goal is to finish it by Friday, do a quick edit, and pop it up here for a Free Fiction thing by Monday.

I had wanted to get to the gym tonight. I didn't. I just had too much to do. That's ok. All of this goal setting is new this week. I'll get on track and get the schedule worked out, and by the end of the week I'll have a bunch of school work cleared out and be writing, gyming, and getting everything else I need to done every day.then I just have to stick with it.

Well, I'm going to go bang out a short assignment for class tomorrow and get some sleep.

Word Count
Sunday - 1331 words
Monday - 2114 words
Total - 3445 words