Sunday, April 2, 2017

Who am I?

Hi, folks. I'm Joe Cleary, writer, student, and gamer.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a writer. I started writing short stories way back in third grade, and ever since, I've dreamed of making my living as a fiction writer.

Instead, I've done everything but write.

I've been a retail manager, banker, cab driver, bouncer, short order cook, delivery guy, and professional poker player. All of those things have paid my bills at one time or another, and all of them were interesting in their own way. None of them were truly fulfilling, though, because none of them scratched the itch I've had since I write that first story.

The older I get, the more I realize that what's really important in life has very little to do with money or how other people view you and what you do, and an awful lot to do with whether or not your life is fulfilling. The dreams that so many people have when they are kids,  and forget when the reality of paying bills and surviving in this fast-paced modern world intrudes, are really the only thing that matter. Everything else is just passing the time.

Please note, I'm not talking about family and friends, here. People are and will always be the most important thing in my life, so let's not get off track. I'm talking about defining your own version of success and being willing to do what it takes to achieve it. I'm talking about taking risks, staying true to yourself, and finding a way to make that dream a reality.

For me, that dream has always been writing. I've put it off for far too long, and for too many reasons, and I'm not going to do that anymore. I don't like where it's gotten me, and I'm not going to continue down that path.

These days, I work part-time and go to school full time to earn my degree in creative writing. I stream video games in the evening on Twitch.TV, and have a small but growing audience. And, as of now, I write every day.

Oh, I also need to get in shape. Dying prematurely is a real and permanent obstacle to making it as a writer.

This blog will be about me trying to make it as a writer, including all of the things that go into making my life what I want it to be, instead of settling for what it is.

Don't get me wrong. My life is pretty good. But I'm not who I want to be. It's high time to start working.